2022/2023 Winter Volunteer Information & Application
We have just received some fresh snow for the season and are gearing up for the winter here at the mountain! We hope you are all doing well and hope you are as excited about this coming season as we are here at USARC. Please read below about general volunteer information and the training for the upcoming season.
Thank you for your interest in teaching with the United States Adaptive Recreation Center (USARC) at Bear Mountain Resort. The USARC has come this far as a result of the hard work of hundreds of people like you. For over thirty years, volunteers have played a pivotal role in the success of our program, a program dedicated to creating opportunities and the redefinition of “limits”.
Without you, the selfless volunteer, we could reach only a fraction of those who seek this extraordinary experience.
With regard to COVID-19, USARC participants and instructors will be required to comply with Big Bear Mountain Safety Policies.
- May need to wear a mask if your student or a group requests it.
- Volunteers are to be 16 years old or older (16-17-year-olds need parent’s consent)
- Volunteers should be Intermediate skiers, able to comfortably ski down “blue” runs
- Snowboarders are welcome (1-day intensive Training on December 15 in addition to your required training)
- Clinics are scheduled but are subject to change depending on snow conditions.
- Required to teach 6 mid weekdays between January 11 and March 19, including one day in March
- Volunteer hours can fulfill some requirements for universities, continuing education programs, or community service programs.
- All volunteers will be required to complete background checks. Information coming soon.
- All volunteers are required to complete SafeSport training. Information coming soon.
- ALL training and orientations will be in person this year! Orientation will be on the morning of your first day of training.
- Volunteer instructors with at least 5 years of teaching may attend 1 day of training, anyone with less than 5 years of teaching must do 2 days of training
- Returning Volunteer dates below (clinic will run from 9:00 am-4:00 pm) Limit to 30 volunteers per day
- December 10-11, 2022
- December 13-14, 2022
- December 15, 2022 – (1-Day intensive Adaptive Snowboard Training in addition to your required training)
- January 7-8, 2023
- Must attend a three-day (Friday-Sunday) on snow training
- Clinic dates are
A pair of “teaching” skis will be required. These are generally shorter skis than your normal skis. Here are some shops in Big Bear that may have the skis you need…
Mulligans Used Sporting Goods
41505 Big Bear Blvd
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
We look forward to having you join our team! Thank you in advance for the difference you will make. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out, call us at 909-584-0269.
Thank you! Pray for even more snow!